26 September 2010

Chewy, Cruchy Oatmeal Cookies

crunchy chewy oatmeal cookies
About the weekend... last weekend in fact, when I was supposed to write this post... ugh. Whenever you only have one day for a weekend off from work, it's never long enough. There's barely time to figure out it's the weekend much less do anything about it. By the time you're done with breakfast you've realized "shoot, my weekend's almost over, today is it, and then tomorrow it's back to work, bright and early" (or in my case dark and early- 4 am is an obscene time to have to wake up).
the ingredients
Hopefully, you had a nice big yummy breakfast with all sorts of delightful things to eat. I'm not much a breakfast eater, myself. So there's no yummy Sunday morning meal for me. Truth be told most weekends I'm lucky to be up before lunch.

yummy fat and sugar
I attribute my resistance to breakfast to the oatmeal my mom would hurriedly make in the microwave before school. The oatmeal always turned out one of two ways, both barely passable as food. Either it was a gummy, grey, conglomerate mass in the shape of the bottom of the bowl or it was a runny, boiling hot chalky gruel that could only be helped down with lots of milk.
before baking
Despite my childhood trails with oatmeal, only breakfast suffered as a result. I still love oatmeal with everything baked. Especially baked in crisps and cookies! However for the longest time, it seemed that I had inherited my mama's bad luck with oatmeal. No matter what recipe I used my oatmeal cookies always came out like piles of grey nastiness that looked very reminiscent of my before school microwaved breakfast. The crispy, yet chewy golden brown oatmeal cookie ideal eluded me. For the longest time the only redeemable thing about my oatmeal cookies was what I added in, like chocolate chips or nuts (but NO RAISINS- I do not like oatmeal and raisins or really anything with raisins.)
adding an egg
Luckily as I'm sure you've noticed by now from all the pictures, I've finally found a good recipe. One that withstands my oatmeal baking curse. These cookies are crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside, and ever so oaty. Even without adding anything these cookies are delicious.
crunchy chewy oatmeal cookies
Chewy, Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies
adapted from everyday Food
Makes two dozen cookies.
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c packed dark brown sugar (I actually made my own with the molasses, just use the ratio for dark brown sugar of 1 c white sugar- 2 Tbs molasses)
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 Tbs unsulfured molasses
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. rolled oats (the recipe specifically says not quick oats, but that's all I had so I used them and.... the world ended. No I'm kidding the cookies turned out just fine!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Position racks in the upper part of oven. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. In a large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and molasses until light and fluffy. (It's going to be a lot easier if you use a standing mixer). Add vanilla and beat again. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each one and scraping down the bowl so everything is evenly mixed in.

Add flour mixture and just beat until it's incorporated. Stir in oats. Drop dough in 2 Tbs mounds onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet 2 inches apart (the cookies are going to be very soft when you take them out of the oven so it's a lot easier if you have the parchment paper down so they don't stick. Trust me, I tried it with and without.) Bake for 11-13 minutes, rotating cookie sheets in the middle so the cookies bake evenly. Remove them from the oven when the edges look done even if the middle still looks a little underbaked. Be careful, it's very easy to overbake these so make sure you keep on eye on them and remove them even if you don't think they're done. Cool the cookies on their sheets for 5 minutes and then remove from the cookie sheets and allow them to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment